Frequently Asked Questions about DNA Tests in NYC
Many of our customers ask us similar questions. Hence, we decided to compile a FAQ to get you started. Check out our answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding DNA testing in NYC. Additionally, contact us for answers to questions not covered here.
What is DNA Testing?
DNA, or Deoxyribonucleic acid, molecules are those that carry our genetic instructions for growth, development, function, and reproduction. Additionally, we inherit 50% of our DNA from our mother and the other 50% of our fathers. Hence, we inherit 25% of our DNA from our grandparents. As a result, your DNA can go back centuries!
DNA testing covers a wide variety of tests that facilitate the determination of bloodlines and familial relationships. Hence, by establishing one’s genetic profile, that person can confirm or deny a relationship to alleged relatives.
What Are DNA Tests Used For?
- Establishing paternity – Confirming or negating a relationship to an alleged biological father
- Establishing maternity – Confirming or negating a relationship to an alleged biological mother
- Siblingship – Confirming or negating a relationship to alleged brothers and sisters
- Grandparentage – Confirming or negating a relationship to alleged grandparents
- Immigration Cases – An immigration DNA test helps support a petitioner’s claim to establish a biological relationship with their family members looking to migrate to the United States and become a citizen. Furthermore, only AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) certified laboratories are approved by the U.S. Embassy to test DNA samples for this. Hence, NYC DNA Testing Centers proudly performs the collections for our AABB Accredited partner facility
- Avuncular Testing – An avuncular DNA test confirms whether or not a person is related to an alleged aunt/uncle.
Where Can I Get a DNA Test in New York City?
Your convenience is our priority. As a result, we offer 5 DNA Testing locations in NYC. They are:
- The Bronx
- Staten Island
How Long Does DNA Testing in New York City Take?
The appointment itself typically takes 15-20 minutes (we work by appointment only, so you never have to wait). Results report out in 2-3 business days. First you will receive an email and then the hardcopy report will be sent in the mail if you choose. For a quality DNA testing facility that provides accurate, court-admissible results, choose NYC DNA Testing Centers to schedule your appointment today.
How is DNA Testing in NYC Performed? Is it Painful?
DNA Testing in New York City is completed quickly and painlessly. Our standard procedure is to take a buccal swab to collect cheek cells (which contain your DNA). The process takes 30 seconds. Finally, our AABB-accredited relationship sample collectors complete the process and then we transport the sample to our partner facility for DNA Analysis.
We have 5 convenient locations where you can get this testing done. Additionally, if you cannot make it to our DNA sampling facilities, our mobile DNA collectors in NYC come to you.
How Accurate are DNA Tests?
Our DNA Tests boast 99.99%+ accuracy for inclusions and there is no margin of error (100% accuracy) for exclusions. Furthermore, we carefully collect each sample and network with labs who operate under the highest standards – so you can expect accurate results every time.