NYC DNA Testing | 5 Interesting Facts about DNA Tests
DNA Testing has a myriad of useful applications. Let’s take a look at some of the most common uses for DNA Testing:
They are used in paternity testing to establish or negate a biological relationship to an alleged father.
Used in maternity testing to establish or negate a biological tie to an alleged mother.
DNA tests substantiate petitions for U.S. citizenship by proving that the petitioner shares a genetic match with the potential immigrant.
They serve to identify a familial relationship with a child via grandparentage testing.
Alleged siblings confirm or deny relationships using siblingship testing.
Now, if you’ve ever taken a DNA test before, you’re probably familiar with the process. However, today we’re going to present you with the ‘other’ side of DNA testing that you never knew. Here are 5 interesting facts about our DNA.
- Ancient viruses that used to make us sick make up eight percent of our DNA. Some of our ancient viruses might protect us from diseases while others can potentially raise our risks for cancer or other serious conditions. We are just beginning to learn the significance of these strains. Some retroviruses offer protection against other viruses, while viral proteins assist our reproduction.
- Our DNA is under constant attack from environmental factors like the sun, our diet, pesticides, etc. The DNA in every one of our cells sustains damage over a hundred times a day! Fortunately, our bodies have adapted and put systems in place that serve as repair mechanisms.
- Amazingly, there are 7 billion people on this Earth and no two are alike. Conversely, 99.9% of our DNA is identical. Hence, the small fraction that differs is what allows us to be unique.
- We find DNA in every human cell. If unraveled, each strand would measure nearly 2 meters long. Conversely, you will be shocked to learn that it fits into 0.09 micrometers of space!
- Our genome is so extensive that it takes you 50 years to type the entire human genome while working at a rate of 60 words per minute and operating for 8 hours a day, every day!
Finding DNA Testing in NYC
Given the sensitive nature and potentially life-changing aspects of DNA tests, it’s important to find a reliable provider of DNA testing in New York City. NYC DNA Testing Centers offers DNA tests with an impressive accuracy rating of over 99.9%. As a result, count on reliable DNA testing with a rapid turnaround of just 2 to 3 business days.
Need a DNA test in NYC for a legal dispute? Our sample collectors are AABB-accredited, meaning our test results hold up in court. Furthermore, we have locations and our services area includes the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Queens – so we are never too far away. Additionally, our testing methods are quick and painless. We use a buccal swab to collect cheek cells for 30 seconds – that’s it! No needles and no blood work necessary.
Contact us for your appointment today. When you have questions, NYC DNA Testing Centers has answers!